Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Sisterly Love

My wonderful little sister recently celebrated a landmark birthday and I hosted a gathering in her honor. When I asked her what kind of cake she wanted (my mother is known for making fantastic cakes for us on our birthdays and I wanted to follow that tradition) sister replied she wanted a white cake with white frosting. I said okay, but knew that wasn't gonna cut it. So I  looked up how to make a tie-dye cake :)

I had a lot of fun with this project and even more fun surprising her with it!
First you just make cake batter. I did my classic soda pop cake - cake mix and 12oz of diet soda = 1 WW point cake <3

Then you divide the cake batter into containers (one for every color you're gonna use) and add your food coloring. I did six different colors and used Eskimo Joe's cups.



I made this one as a two layered round cake so I took my two pans and got to work. The idea is that you layer each color on top of the next. So I started with red on the bottom, using most of the red batter, then poured the orange on top of that and so on and so forth. If you pour it in the center, it kind of pushes the previous batter to the edges and works itself out. And then the second pan was done in the opposite color pattern (starting with the purple).



Roll it, bake it and mark it with an M for Molly :)
Like I said, I wanted to surprise her so here's what she saw....


The big reveal!!


So there it is, I made my sister the most colorful white cake ever!
And I'm pretty sure I got addicted to making fun colored cakes in the process :)

No comments:

Post a Comment